With the Covid-19 pandemic, we knew our traditional graduation ceremony would not be possible. We also knew we had to find a way to celebrate our amazing students. On June 11, 2020, HBAS hosted its first ever drive-thru graduation at our Gothard campus.
Diploma and GED graduates were each able to bring one carload of family and friends. One student at a time received their diploma and congratulations from faculty and then posed in front of HBAS letters with a scenic backdrop. It was truly special to have those few minutes recognizing each student with their loved ones. We were thrilled to have 79 students attend our ceremony.
“At a school that prides itself in being out of the box and being innovative,” said Principal Steve Curiel, “I never thought we would be doing a ‘drive-through’ graduation. But we had a choice: offer no graduation or figure out how to do one that is safe and honoring of our students. We delivered an intimate ceremony while keeping students, families, and staff safe. This might be just be our new format for graduation. I want to give a big shout out to the High School Diploma and GED department for pulling off this event in such a professional and fun manner.”
Congratulations to the HBAS Class of 2020! We couldn’t be prouder of 121 Diploma graduates and 24 GED recipients. Please keep in touch with our teachers and support staff so we can continue to support and celebrate you along your education and career paths.
2020 Community Scholarship & Award Recipients:
- Inestria, Eduardo – 4-year college scholarship for $3,750 per year from the Simon Youth Foundation
- Vazquez, Verenice – 2-year college scholarship for $1,750 per year from the Simon Youth Foundation
- Paredes, Jonathan – $200 scholarship from the Huntington Beach Administrators Association
- Johnston, Syntyche Kifa Rey – Harley Rouda Congressional Award
2020 HBAS Teacher Award Recipients:
- Davalos, Silvia – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Sarver For Academic Excellence, Consistent Attendance, Determination, and Role Model for other Students
- Do, Doan – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Sarver for Academic Excellence, Attendance, and Determination
- Dombrowski, Lucia – Teacher’s Award from Mr. Garcia For Outstanding Academic Performance and Attendance
- Escalante, Elise – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Cosgrove For her Commitment to Completing her Diploma Despite Extreme Adversity
- Flores, Brizeida – Teacher’s Award from Mr. Alviso – Academic Achievement Award
- Herrera, Efigenia – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Sarver for Academic Excellence, Determination, and Positive Attitude
- Inestria, Eduardo – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Nasry – Academic Achievement Award, Community Impact and Difference Maker Award Long, Michelle – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Nasry – Academic Achievement Award and Difference Maker Award
- Martinez, Fernando – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Sarver For Academic Improvement and Determination
- Paredes, Jonathan – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Shuster for being a great all-around student
- Rosales, Cithlali – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Cosgrove For Her Positive Attitude, Attention to Detail, and Extreme Hard Work and Dedication While Completing her Courses in an Expedient Manner
- Truong, Joshua – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Cosgrove for his Good Nature, Diligent Work, Active Participation, and Extraordinary Attention to Detail
- Torneros, Valeria – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Shuster for being a great all-around student
- Valadez, Adrian – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Cosgrove for his positive attitude, attention to detail, and extremely hard work
- Vargas, Eleanor – Teacher’s Award from Ms. Shuster for being a great all-around student