After a 2-year drought, HBAS had a flood of 33 employers, 18 resource partners and 258 jobseekers at our April 5th Job & Resource Fair. We were proud to help community members explore an array of opportunities and services.
For many employers and job seekers, this was one of their first in-person hiring events in 3 years. Job Developer Arlene Flores “received so many compliments on how organized everything was, how helpful and welcoming all staff and student helpers were. Employers shared that they had so many good candidates today.” A few highlights:
- Allied Universal Security hired 6 people on the spot.
- USPS stayed after, helping job seekers fill out their online job applications.
- OC Workforce Development Mobile Unit was happy to leave with 3 full pages of people wanting their services.
- Our hospitality partners were happy to find new candidates.
We heard again and again from job seekers, businesses and partners that this was the best Job/Resource Fair they have attended. What made it special? Our key ingredient was the incredible people that made it happen. It takes a village to put on events of this scale, and we couldn’t be more grateful for:
- Our fearless leaders, Job Developer Arlene Flores and Counselor Ashley Nguyen, for spearheading the event.
- Our maintenance crew and tech team for their skillful support.
- HBAS staff and students who helped with set-up, registration, food and drinks, photos, clean up and so much more.
- HBAS teachers who encouraged their students to attend.
- Our employer and resource partners, described by attendees as friendly, informative and respectful.
- Everyone who spread the word about our event.
Principal Steve Curiel said it best: “The work done today will change the lives of many of these participants who connected with an employer or service provider. That's what we do, that's what you do!”
If you missed this event, don’t worry. The HBAS Student Support Services team will continue to serve our community by hosting many more in-person and virtual events. Keep an eye on our Facebook and Instagram pages to see what’s happening next.